[MaFLa] VISUAL MEANING -- New online edition of an earlier volume of mine

Kristof Nyiri nyirik at gmail.com
Sat Aug 31 11:14:49 CEST 2019

Dear All, I have uploaded a new -- online -- edition of an earlier volume
of mine to the addresses listed below. The new edition’s title: *Visual
Meaning: Essays on Wittgenstein, Image, and Time*. The text on the back
cover: “Objects of vision are as a rule moving ones, rather than static.
Vision and movement are bound up with each other. When we open our eyes to
the world, the picture offering itself is, normally, a moving one.
Likewise, our visual mental images tend to fluctuate, rather than stand
still. Moving images happen in time, images and time hang together, time
cannot be conceptualized except by metaphors, and so ultimately by images,
of movements in space. Also, it is movements in space – movements making up
of gestures – that constitute the primordial language of humankind. Verbal
language could not have possibly emerged before the coming into being of
visual language, the language of gestures and facial expressions. Verbal
language rests on conventions, the language of gestures rests on immediate
visual resemblances.” The new preface ends with a brief autobiographical
remark.

https://www.academia.edu/…/VISUAL_MEANING_Essays_on_Wittgen…
<https://www.academia.edu/40212898/VISUAL_MEANING_Essays_on_Wittgenstein_Image_and_Time?fbclid=IwAR2OTEMI1mzijSXfweeidPDNxyQMVMWJgLP36-7DPTFq2vvGYeW37x-bc3I>

https://www.researchgate.net/publi…/335501204_VISUAL_MEANING
<https://www.researchgate.net/publication/335501204_VISUAL_MEANING?fbclid=IwAR2k9DjlkkGQUEZ7BMiNQ6PKh0z6tCaH9LYiIHpJiWGnjSivir8vHMdsvnM>

http://www.hunfi.hu/nyiri/VISUAL_MEANING.pdf
<http://www.hunfi.hu/nyiri/VISUAL_MEANING.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3ST8XgVC7GuxDChPxvGk5W_qBfCT-3ARsSdWRINEPZHvhysqz045WfIHc>

Kristóf NYÍRI, PhD, Dr. h.c.
Professor of Philosophy
Member of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences
https://bme.academia.edu/KristofNyiri
www.hunfi.hu/nyiri