[MaFLA] Interdisciplinary summer course on “The Ethics of Attention” at Central European University (CEU) in Budapest, Hungary, July 1–5, 2024

Emese Havadtői havadtoifanni at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 10:57:22 CET 2023

Dear All,

I am Emese Havadtői, a PhD candidate of Central European University and a
coordinator at The Ethics of Attention summer course taking place in
Budapest, July 1-5. Below, you will find the invitation to apply for this
interdisciplinary course.

I hope to see you there!

*Interdisciplinary summer course on “**The Ethics of Attention*
<https://bit.ly/2024-ethics>*” at Central European University (CEU) in
Budapest, Hungary, July 1–5, 2024  *

https://bit.ly/2024-ethics

This five-day intensive course investigates the ethical dimensions of
attention. We live in the attention economy, where attention is commodified
and manipulated. Attentional crises abound: big tech, social media, and the
pandemic have eroded people’s attentional capacities. Attention, though, is
paramount to personal and institutional flourishing. Attending to people,
places, and projects is at the heart of love, community, justice, good
relationships, creativity, art, education, and mental health. It is also a
central, but overlooked, component of justice. We can wrong each other with
attention patterns. Improper attention can also create unfair and dangerous
social disparities; scientists might overlook medical differences between
women and men, for example, and fail to notice this oversight. And yet
theorists lack adequate frameworks for conceptualising and assessing this.
There is a dearth of research on attention, and the ethics of attention is
seldom featured in university courses.

The summer school aims to remedy this. Participants first survey major
theories of attention, including Asian philosophy, analytic philosophy, and
psychology. They then apply these frameworks to real-life case studies
about technology, media, advertising, power, prejudice, bias, colonialism,
art, love, religion, self-improvement, mental health, science research, and
skepticism about vaccines, pandemics, and climate change.

Financial aid is available.

Application deadline: February 14, 2024

Latest news and updates: https://www.facebook.com/ceu.summer

All the best,