this week's philosophy of physics in Paris

Guido Bacciagaluppi Guido.Bacciagaluppi at univ-paris1.fr
Mon Jun 6 15:13:44 CEST 2005

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

this week we have no Friday seminar (next one 17 June). On a slightly
different note, on Thursday Giovanni Boniolo (Padova) will be giving
two seminars at CREA (details below).

			Best,
				Guido

Sauf mention explicite, les seminaires ont lieu au CREA, Salle 315.
Acces par le 25, rue de la Montagne Sainte Genevieve, 75005 Paris.
En raison du plan Vigipirate, merci de vous munir d'une piece d'identite.
Vos sacs et bagages pourront etre fouilles.

Jeudi 9 Juin 2005, de 14h00  a 19h00
dans le cadre du seminaire "Constitution d'Objectivite",

GIOVANNI BONIOLO
Professeur de philosophie des sciences a l'Universite de Padoue (Italie),

fera deux exposes lors d'un atelier exceptionnel au CREA, salle 315

14h00: TURING AND FIBONACCI: FORM AND FUNCTION OF MATHEMATICS INTO THE
BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES
By reviewing some mathematical models, the use of mathematics in the
biological science is discussed. In particular it is shown that same
mathematical forms can have different functions from both the biological
and the philosophical point of view.

15h45: Pause

16h00: VAGUENESS, KANT AND TOPOLOGY
An original approach to vagueness is proposed. It is characterized by two
features. The first one is philosophical: I move along a Kantian approach
emphasizing the knowing subject's conceptual framework. The second one is
formal: to face vagueness the introduction of a formalism based on
topology is suggested. I show that the Kantian and the topological
features joined together allow us an atypical, but fruitful, way of
considering vagueness.

17h30: Discussion generale

--
Guido Bacciagaluppi
Institut d'Histoire et de Philosophie des Sciences et des Techniques

--
Ce message a été vérifié par MailScanner
suspect n'a été trouvé.

Mail group "philphys"
ESF Network for Philosophical and
Foundational Problems of Modern Physics