philosophy of physics in Paris

Guido Bacciagaluppi Guido.Bacciagaluppi at univ-paris1.fr
Sun Feb 26 12:29:25 CET 2006

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

here is a reminder and two announcements of philosophy of
physics activities in Paris:

1) Reminder for this coming week: Juergen Renn at REHSEIS.
2) Announcement for the following week: Etienne Klein for the Friday
seminars.
3) Announcement of the next PPP conference: 8 April at IHPST.

Details below.
                  Best regards,

                          Guido Bacciagaluppi

1) SÉMINAIRE : HISTOIRE ET PHILOSOPHIE DE LA PHYSIQUE
'Les raisons de l.à-peu-près'
Informations :
Nadine de Courtenay decourtenay at wanadoo.fr
Olivier Darrigol darrigol at paris7.jussieu.fr

REHSEIS: Université Paris 7 - Denis Diderot
Dalle "Les Olympiades" - Centre javelot
105, rue de Tolbiac ou 59 rue Nationale
75013 PARIS
1er étage gauche
http://www.rehseis.cnrs.fr/recherche/semingroupe/physique.htm

Mardi 28 Février 2006, 17h00 - 19h00
Jürgen Renn (MPIWG, Berlin)
Approximations and toy models

2) Philosophy of physics seminars
(organisers: G. Bacciagaluppi, M. Bitbol, A. Grinbaum)

Unless otherwise noted: sessions marked IHPST take place in
the Grande Salle at IHPST (13, rue du Four), those marked CREA
in the library (salle 315) at CREA (25, rue de la Montagne
Sainte-Geneviève [due to the possibility of checks at the
entrance, please have a form of ID with you]).

Friday 3 March, NO SEMINAR

Friday 10 March, 16:00-18:00 (CREA)
Étienne Klein (CEA-Saclay)
ON THE CONFUSION BETWEEN THE COURSE OF TIME AND THE ARROW OF TIME
(talk in French)(l'exposé sera fait en français)

The conclusion drawn after a 1996 conference on the 'arrow of time' was
that 'We feel it is not an overstatement to say that the main question
posed by the time's arrow problem is to be able to say exactly what it
is'. More than 130 years past Boltzmann's work on the interpretation of
irreversibility of physical phenomena, we are still not sure what we mean
when we talk of 'time' or 'arrow of time'.  We shall try to show that one
source of this difficulty is our tendency to confuse time and becoming,
i.e. the course of time and the arrow of time, two 'things' that the
formalisms of modern physics are careful to distinguish.

3) Philosophy, Probability and Physics

Website: http://www.lse.ac.uk/collections/CPNSS/events/PPP.htm

This is a series of joint mini-conferences organised
in London and Paris by Stephan Hartmann (LSE) and Guido
Bacciagaluppi (IHPST). They continue the joint series
of seminars we used to organise in Freiburg and Konstanz
(see http://www.uni-konstanz.de/ppm/ppp.htm ).

The next mini-conference will take place at
IHPST, 13, rue du Four (grande salle)
Saturday 8 April 2006.

Further details to be announced.

--
Guido Bacciagaluppi
Institut d'Histoire et de Philosophie des Sciences et des Techniques