Visiting Fellows in History and Philosophy of Science at the University of Sydney

Huw Price huw at mail.usyd.edu.au
Fri Oct 6 01:00:32 CEST 2006

NEW VISITING FELLOWSHIPS IN HISTORY AND PHILOSOPHY OF SCIENCE AT THE
UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY

This is a preliminary announcement for a new visiting fellowship
program at The University of Sydney. This program is associated with
The Sydney Centre for the Foundations of Science (SCFS), a new centre
sponsoring research into the history and philosophy of science
(further details below). Expressions of interest are encouraged from
leading historians and philosophers of science (including the special
sciences and medicine) at any career stage.  It is anticipated that
the first round of fellowships will be in 2007. A formal announcement
and call for full applications will be made in a couple of months,
when the details are finalised, but at this stage we are asking for
expressions of interest.

It is expected that there will up to four fellowships per year, and
each fellowship will come with a stipend of up to AUD 6,000. These
fellowships will provide opportunities for academics on sabbatical
from their home institution to spend a semester in an active and
collegial research group (in a beautiful city!), to work with members
of the SCFS and with other visiting fellows in the centre. The
stipend is to help offset some of the relocation costs. The
successful applicants will be expected to work on a specific research
project that is of interest to members of the SCFS. One of the aims
of the SCFS is to strengthen international links in history and
philosophy of science, so expressions of interest from researchers
outside Australia are particularly encouraged.

Expressions of interest, including a CV and a brief outline of the
proposed research project should be sent to:

Mark Colyvan
Director of the Sydney Centre for the Foundations of Science
School of Philosophical and Historical Inquiry
A14, Main Quadrangle
University of Sydney
Sydney, NSW, 2006
Australia
Email: <mailto:mcolyvan at usyd.edu.au>mcolyvan at usyd.edu.au

ABOUT THE SYDNEY CENTRE FOR THE FOUNDATIONS OF SCIENCE

The SCFS is a new research centre, currently being established, at
the University of Sydney. We will draw together researchers from
philosophy, history, history and philosophy of science, science and
medicine and we anticipate having research concentrations in and
around philosophy of physics, philosophy of biology, philosophy of
mathematics, history of early modern science, and history of
medicine. Senior members of the SCFS include, Warwick Anderson, Guido
Bacciagaluppi, Stephen Bartlett, Mark Colyvan, Stephen
Garton, Stephen Gaukroger, Paul Griffiths, Jenann Ismael, and Huw
Price. We also have a number of mid career and junior faculty, as
well as several postdoctoral fellows and graduate students associated
with the SCFS. It is envisaged that the SCFS will sponsor visiting
speakers and various conferences as well as the above visiting
fellows scheme. Details will appear on a dedicated website shortly.

I should add that this is a preliminary announcement being sent out
in anticipation of the funding for this scheme being secured.
Although we are confident that we will be able to secure the desired
funding we reserve the right to decline to award fellowships in 2007
(or any subsequent year), for financial or other reasons

Feel free to pass this notice on to anyone who may be interested in
visiting the SCFS in 2007.

Thank you.

Cheers,
Mark.