workshop (The birth of string theory), Florence, May 18-19, 2007

Elena Castellani elena.castellani at unifi.it
Fri Mar 16 15:39:38 CET 2007

THE BIRTH OF STRING THEORY

Two-day meeting taking place in Florence, Italy, on May 18-19, 2007.

A web page for the meeting is available at
http://theory.fi.infn.it/colomo/string-birth/

Organizers:
Andrea Cappelli, Filippo Colomo (INFN and Dept. of Physics, Florence)
Elena Castellani (Dept. of Philosophy, Florence)
Paolo Di Vecchia (Nordita, Copenhagen)

Advisory Committee:
R. Casalbuoni, G. Veneziano (of the GGI Committees)
A. Lerda (of the GGI workshop organizer)

Speakers:
M. Ademollo, P. Di Vecchia, F. Gliozzi, M. Green, A. Neveu, P. Ramond,
L. Susskind, G. Veneziano. Final round table chaired by D. Olive.

This event will be in connection with the workshop:
"String and M theory approaches to particle physics and cosmology"
to be held at the Galileo Galilei Institute of Theoretical Physics
(GGI), Arcetri, Florence, from March 19, to June 22, 2007.
(http://ggi-www.fi.infn.it/activities/workshops/stringm/stringM.html)

In the two-day meeting, we shall go back to the birth
of String Theory and recollect and discuss the ideas
leading to the discovery and construction of the theory.
We shall cover the period from the pre-history to the early
developments, corresponding to the years 1967-1981 approximately.

For Practical informations and logistic see the web site
of the conference http://theory.fi.infn.it/colomo/string-birth/

Mail group "philphys"
ESF Network for Philosophical and
Foundational Problems of Modern Physics