[PhilPhys] BSPS Talk -26th Nov, London - Wallace on Quantum Mechanics

Oliver Pooley oliver.pooley at philosophy.ox.ac.uk
Mon Nov 12 12:42:49 CET 2007

British Society for the Philosophy of Science

David Wallace (Oxford)

Many worlds? - the case for the Everett interpretation of quantum
mechanics.

26th Nov, 5.15pm in room T206, the Centre for Philosophy of Natural
and Social Science, Lakatos Building, Protugal Street, London. Tea is
served from 5pm in room T16.

Abstract:

A sizable subset of the physics community – including probably a
straight majority of all realist-inclined physicists who think about
the measurement problem – now believe that Everett’s “many-worlds”
interpretation of quantum mechanics is probably true. I will sketch
why this is, and why they are probably right. I shall expand on a
couple of the interesting – and interestingly *philosophical*
problems thrown up by the Everett interpretation, and I shall finish
by making a few remarks on the significance of the Everett
interpretation to philosophy more generally. I shall not assume a
technical physics background in my audience.

All welcome