[PhilPhys] This week's phil physics seminar

Chris Timpson christopher.timpson at bnc.ox.ac.uk
Tue Feb 24 08:43:05 CET 2009

Dear All,

This week, Katherine Brading (Notre Dame) will be talking on

"Structural realism and the objects of physics"

Abstract:

 Ladyman and French have argued for ontic structural realism using an
argument that begins from an alleged "metaphysical underdetermination"
facing object-oriented realism. Current discussions have focussed on
challenging this underdetermination in the context of specific theories in
physics. I will discuss whether or not the argument succeeds even if the
underdetermination is granted. I think that it fails, and I will talk about
why this is. There is a positive outcome for structural realists, however,
because the resources that the ontic structural realist employs when
developing the argument from metaphysical underdetermination can be
re-deployed to create a more promising strategy.

In discussing why the argument fails, I will talk about an approach to the
objects of physics that is independent of discussions of individuality, and
this will give me an excuse for a diversion through some Newton, and maybe
even Descartes, time permitting.

The draft papers that I will draw on for my talk can be found at
<http://www.nd.edu/~kbrading/Research/research.html>
http://www.nd.edu/~kbrading/Research/research.html: the structural realism
stuff is in the joint paper with Alex Skiles, and the Descartes/Newton stuff
is in 'Newton's law-constitutive approach to bodies: a response to
Descartes'.

Thursday 16:30, Lecture Room, 10 Merton St.

Best wishes,

Chris Timpson