[PhilPhys] MA in Philosophy of Physics at Leeds

Juha Saatsi juha.saatsi at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 17 19:04:38 CET 2009

**Apologies for cross posting**
*
MA in Philosophy of Physics at the University of Leeds*

The Department of Philosophy at the University of Leeds offers a *Taught MA
in the Philosophy of Physics*.

This course pursues in depth the philosophical questions raised by modern
physics. Students will explore advanced topics on our understanding of
quantum mechanics and spacetime theory, in addition to addressing general
epistemological issues that science presents. Options provide scope for
further study in philosophy, in history of science, or in physics. The
dissertation presents an opportunity for detailed development of a topic of
interest in the philosophy of physics. The course will provide an ideal
preparation for higher research in the philosophy and foundations of
physics.

Candidates should normally have a good honours degree. Relevant background
in mathematics and physics is essential and previous study in philosophy or
history and philosophy of science recommended.

We now welcome applications for the academic year 2009-10.

For further information please contact the Programme Director: Dr Juha
Saatsi. Email: J.T.Saatsi at leeds.ac.uk

*Open Day*

There will be a departmental Open Day for prospective PGs on 11th February
2009. We aim to offer substantial reimbursement of travel costs to all of
our guests.

In the Open Day you can: find out about our various MA courses; meet
potential teachers and supervisors; learn about our 3 Research Centres;
learn about application procedures and funding options; meet the vibrant
community of graduate students.

Registration is required but free (and lunch is included). To register,
please contact Jenneke Stevens at j.m.stevens@ leeds.ac.uk.

For enquiries concerning the Open Day and postgraduate study in Philosophy
at Leeds, please contact Professor John Divers at j.divers at leeds.ac.uk.

The Department of Philosophy at Leeds is one of the largest in the UK. In
2009-10 the Department of Philosophy will be home to 27 permanent members of
academic staff as well as a further 10 or so associated academic members of
staff (research fellows, temporary lecturers and post-doctoral fellows). The
department has a dedicated research *Centre of History and Philosophy of
Science*, one of the longest-established centres of research and teaching
for history and philosophy of science in the UK. Interests range widely
across the field of modern Western science since 1500, covering the history
of physical, biological and social sciences, social history of science,
philosophy and sociology of science and technology, philosophy of the social
sciences, history of medicine and philosophy of physics.

Philosophy at Leeds (including HPS) did extremely well in the recent RAE.
Overall, 65% of our research was rated "world class" or "internationally
excellent" (matching the percentages of leading UK philosophy departments
such as Oxford and Cambridge), and we were ranked third behind Oxford
Philosophy and Cambridge HPS in terms of 'research power'. The Department
continues to intensify and expand its research activity. We are particularly
highly rated in Metaphysics, Aesthetics, Philosophy of Physics and History
of Science and Technology and have further substantial strengths in most
areas of contemporary analytic philosophy including: Ethics and Meta-Ethics,
Philosophy of Logic, Philosophy of Language, History of Philosophy,
Philosophy of Mind and Philosophy of Language.

Full information on the department: (members of staff, their research
interests, our graduate community and our research centres) see
http://www.philosophy.leeds.ac.uk/.