[PhilPhys] Philosophy of Physics at Aberdeen

Bacciagaluppi, Guido g.bacciagaluppi at abdn.ac.uk
Thu Feb 16 14:36:02 CET 2012

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

as part of the Aberdeen Philosophy of Physics Research Seminar, I am very glad to announce a talk by

Guido Bacciagaluppi (Aberdeen), Tuesday 21 February, 10-12, New King's NK11

'Insolubility Theorems and EPR Argument'

Abstract: I present a very general and simple argument showing the impossibility of reproducing within the framework of the unitary Schroedinger equation the phenomenological description of quantum mechanical measurements (in particular the collapse of the state of the measured system) by assuming a suitable *mixed* initial state of the apparatus. The thrust of the argument is thus similar to that of the 'insolubility theorems' for the measurement problem of quantum mechanics (which, however, focus on the impossibility of reproducing the macroscopic measurement results). The result follows from the no-signalling theorem. Although I believe the argument is new in this formulation, I argue it is essentially a form of Einstein's reasoning in the context of the EPR paradox - which is thereby illuminated from a new angle.

Best regards,
Guido

Postgraduate studies at Aberdeen: PhD in Philosophy, MLitt in Philosophy,
MLitt in History and Philosophy of Science, MLitt in Philosophical Research.
For details see http://www.abdn.ac.uk/philosophy/pgrad .

Guido Bacciagaluppi
Department of Philosophy
University of Aberdeen