[PhilPhys] Q+ Hangout: Markus Mueller

Matthew Leifer matt at mattleifer.info
Tue Oct 9 16:56:37 CEST 2012

Q+ hangouts is a series of online seminars on quantum foundations and
quantum information that take place on Google+ using the hangouts
feature. The next talk is on quantum foundations, so it may be of
interest to subscribers of this list.

Date/time: Tuesday 23rd October 2pm BST
Speaker: Markus Mueller (Perimeter Institute)
Title: Three-dimensionality of space and the quantum bit: an
information-theoretic approach

Absract: It is sometimes pointed out as a curiosity that the state space
of quantum two-level systems, i.e. the qubit, and actual physical space
are both three-dimensional and Euclidean. In this talk, I report on
joint work with Lluis Masanes, where we attempt an information-theoretic
analysis of this relationship, by proving a particular mathematical
result: suppose that physics takes place in d spatial dimensions, and
that some events happen probabilistically (not assuming quantum theory
in any way). Furthermore, suppose there are systems that behave in some
sense as “units of direction information”, interacting via some
continuous reversible time evolution. We prove that this uniquely
determines spatial dimension d=3 and quantum theory on two qubits.
Hence, abstractly postulating the “nice” behavior of a Stern-Gerlach
device in information-theoretic terms determines already some important
aspects of physics as we know it.

This talk is based on http://arxiv.org/abs/1208.0493
To watch the talk live go to http://qplus.to/qplus at the appointed hour.

To keep up to date with Q+ hangouts, follow us on:
Google+: http://gplus.to/qplus
Twitter: @qplushangouts
Facebook: http://facebook.com/qplushangouts
or visit out website http://qplus.burgarth.de