[PhilPhys] Adolf Grunbaum Memorial Fund

Center for Philosophy of Science pittcntr at pitt.edu
Thu Apr 25 17:14:45 CEST 2019

Help us continue the legacy of Adolf Grünbaum’s contribution to Philosophy of Science!

On behalf of the Adolf Grünbaum Memorial Fund

Dear Colleagues,

The year 2020 marks the 60th anniversary of Adolf Grünbaum joining the faculty of the University of Pittsburgh and the founding of the Center for Philosophy of Science.  Among his many contributions to the University’s long-running distinction in the field of philosophy, his creation of the Annual Lecture Series, which began with its inaugural lecture on September 29, 1960, is particularly noteworthy.  Since its very creation, the program has been regarded as one of the most prestigious in the fields of history and philosophy of science hosting hundreds of lectures by leading scientists, historians of science, and philosophers of science.

As you know, Adolf sadly passed in November 2018 at the age of 95.
“He was bold — a visionary architect who helped grow our philosophy department into what it is now known as the best program worldwide,” said Chancellor Patrick Gallagher. “He was beloved, having served on our faculty for nearly 60 years, and he was renowned — a proverbial giant in the scholarly exploration of space and time.”

In his memory and in honor of his dedication to the Center for Philosophy of Science, the Departments of Philosophy and of History and Philosophy of Science at Pitt, the University of Pittsburgh, and the many philosophical fields he impacted, we are asking his colleagues, students, friends, our Fellows, Associates, past speakers and visitors of the Center to make gifts to the Adolf Grünbaum Memorial.

These donations will specifically support an annual Adolf Grünbaum Memorial Lecture as part of the Center for Philosophy of Science’s Annual Lecture Series.  This Fund will help the Center continue to host lectures by outstanding historians and philosophers of science for years to come.

Your contribution is important to this campaign to raise funds to honor a beloved man and continuing his great contributions to philosophy.  We extend our sincere gratitude to those who have already made a donation, please use this email as an opportunity to share the mission of the fund with others.

Sincerely,
Edouard Machery
Distinguished Professor
Director of the Center for Philosophy of Science
University of Pittsburgh

<https://engage.pitt.edu/project/15559>https://engage.pitt.edu/project/15559

University of Pittsburgh | Adolf Grünbaum Memorial<https://engage.pitt.edu/project/15559>
engage.pitt.edu
Carl Gustav Hempel was a philosopher of science who played a central role in the development of logical positivism. His work is primarily associated with the concept of deductive-nomological explanation and the Raven paradox.

<https://engage.pitt.edu/project/15559>