[PhilPhys] LSE Philosophy Newsletter | Summer Term 2019

Philosophy Philosophy at lse.ac.uk
Fri May 24 16:04:30 CEST 2019

LSE Philosophy Newsletter | Summer Term 2019
________________________________
Visitors
We welcome our new visitor to LSE Philosophy:

  *   Simon Knutsson

And we renew our welcome to our continuing visitors:

  *   Marius Backmann, Jacob Bjorheim, Tian Yu Cao, Catherine Greene, Michael Hunter, Joshua Kissel, Joe Mazor, Bernet Meijer and Silvia Milano

We also renew our welcome to our Ludwig M. Lachmann Research Fellow, Professor Matthew Adler<https://law.duke.edu/fac/adler/>.

Explore our current visitors' research on our website<http://www.lse.ac.uk/cpnss/visit/current-visitors>, and learn more about our cutting-edge research projects on our research pages<http://www.lse.ac.uk/cpnss/research>.

________________________________
Speakers

  *   Klaus Nehring, Alex Voorhoeve, Lichelle Wolmarans and Yael Loewenstein will speak at the Choice Group<http://www.lse.ac.uk/philosophy/choice-group/> lecture series on decision and social choice theory
  *   Julia Nefsky will give this term's Popper Seminar<http://www.lse.ac.uk/philosophy/popper-seminar/>
  *   Talal Debs, David Lavis and Katie Robertson will present their work at the Sigma Club<http://www.lse.ac.uk/philosophy/sigma-club/> lecture series on philosophy of physics
  *   Marius Backmann and Deborah Mayo will speak at the Conjectures and Refutations<http://www.lse.ac.uk/philosophy/conjectures-and-refutations/> seminar series on philosophy of science
  *   Edward Harcourt, Laura Fortunato, Alexander Bird and Brian Glenney  will appear at the Forum for Philosophy<http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/theforum/forthcomingevents/>

________________________________
Events
Replication Crisis?<https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/theforum/forthcomingevents/replicationcrisis/>

28 May | 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
Old Theatre | Old Building | LSE

The hallmark of good science is often supposed to be experiments that produce the same results when repeated. But over the last number of years, scientists have replicated a number of established, high-profile experiments and produced different results. Does it point to serious flaws and biases in the sciences? Or it is evidence of the power of science to self-correct? And what can be done to make science more replicable? We explore whether the replication crisis undermines our trust in science.

Speakers
Alexander Bird<http://www.sowerbyprofessor.philosophyandmedicine.org/>
Professor of Philosophy, KCL
Laura Fortunato<http://www.santafe.edu/~fortunato/>
Associate Professor of Evolutionary Anthropology, University of Oxford
Marcus Munafò<http://www.bris.ac.uk/expsych/people/marcus-r-munafo/>
Professor of Biological Psychology, University of Bristol
Chair
Jonathan Birch<https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/theforum/jonathan-birch/>
Fellow, Forum for Philosophy
Associate Professor of Philosophy, LSE

In association with the British Society for the Philosophy of Science<http://www.thebsps.org/>

Out of the Vat: subscribe now to our brand new podcast

Brought to you by the Department of Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method<http://www.lse.ac.uk/philosophy/>, The Forum for Philosophy<https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/theforum/> and the Centre for Philosophy of Natural and Social Science<http://www.lse.ac.uk/CPNSS>, Out of the Vat is a new (semi)regular podcast about philosophers' work and philosophers' lives, both inside and outside of philosophy.

Out of the Vat Episode 1<http://www.lse.ac.uk/philosophy/blog/2019/03/26/out-of-the-vat-1/> features Steven French, Professor of Philosophy of Science at the University of Leeds. Steven discusses his current interest in phenomenological approaches to quantum mechanics, and recounts his early forays into art-rock journalism...

Subscribe<http://feeds.feedburner.com/outofthevat>

Interested in visiting us?
Find out more about our visitors programme<http://www.lse.ac.uk/cpnss/visit>