[PhilPhys] NEW DATES: Mathematics and Analogical Reasoning, 27-28 August, 2021 at LMU Munich

Erik Curiel erik at strangebeautiful.com
Wed Jun 17 00:46:07 CEST 2020

The Munich Center for Mathematical Philosophy invites registrations for
the following event:
Mathematics and Analogical Reasoning
MCMP, LMU Munich
27-28 August, 2021
https://silviajonas.wixsite.com/mathematicsanalogies

IDEA & MOTIVATION:
The goal of this conference is to investigate the role of mathematics as
a heuristic device for analogical reasoning in science and philosophy.

QUESTIONS we aim to address at the conference include (but are not
limited to):
·       How can a positive mathematical analogy generate support for a
particular theoretical view about otherwise disconnected physical systems?
·       Can we be sure that epistemic lessons from one domain carry over
to another domain, given that there are always known points of
disanalogy? If so, how?
·       Does the fact that shared mathematical structures can generate
new scientific insights have a bearing on (enhanced) indispensability
arguments for mathematical realism?
·       How can a mathematical analogy generate understanding of one
system given our understanding of the model system?
·       What is an adequate methodology for analogical reasoning about
meta-empirical domains (like mathematics or ethics)?
·       Are the mathematical background assumptions of recent arguments
featuring mathematical analogies plausible (specifically in light of
recent pluralist developments in set theory)?

More Information is available on the conference website:
https://silviajonas.wixsite.com/mathematicsanalogies.
The conference also has a PhilEvents website:
https://philevents.org/event/show/81150.

REGISTRATION:
In order to register please visit the conference website
(https://silviajonas.wixsite.com/mathematicsanalogies) or contact Silvia
Jonas (silvia.jonas at lmu.de<mailto:silvia.jonas at lmu.de>) for further
information.

ORGANIZERS:
Silvia Jonas (MCMP/LMU Munich)
Mark Colyvan (University of Sydney/MCMP)

https://silviajonas.wixsite.com/mathematicsanalogies
https://www.mcmp.philosophie.uni-muenchen.de/events/workshops/container/analogical_reasoning2020/index.html
https://philevents.org/event/show/81150

--
Erik Curiel
http://strangebeautiful.com

Assistant Professor
Munich Center for Mathematical Philosophy
Lehrstuhl für Wissenschaftstheorie
Fakultät für Philosophie, Wissenschaftstheorie und Religionswissenschaft
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität
Ludwigstraße 31
80539 München, Deutschland
http://www.mcmp.philosophie.uni-muenchen.de