[PhilPhys] Announcing a NEW initiative at the Center for Philosophy of Science, The Center Debates

Center for Philosophy of Science pittcntr at pitt.edu
Thu Sep 24 18:13:25 CEST 2020

Announcing a NEW initiative at the Center for Philosophy of Science, The Center Debates

“The Center Debates” is a new initiative of the Center for Philosophy of Science. Our goal is to promote serious, but respectful and constructive exchanges about controversial topics of interest to historians and philosophers of science, scientists, and the lay public. Typically, two speakers with a different perspective on a given topic are invited to debate; each gives a 20-minute presentation, followed by two 10-minute responses to the other speaker’s presentation. This exchange is then followed by a 30-minute Q&A.

The first installment of Center Debates, “Fake News and Conspiracy Theories,” will take place virtually on TUESDAY, OCTOBER 6th at 12PM Eastern Time.

Cailin O’Connor (UC Irvine), author of The Misinformation Age: How False Beliefs Spread, and Hugo Mercier (Jean Nicod Institute, CNRS), author of Not Born Yesterday: The Science of Who We Trust and What We Believe, will debate the impact of “fake news” and conspiracy theories.

Why should we care about having true beliefs? And why do demonstrably false beliefs persist and spread despite consequences for the people who hold them?

Or, on the other hand, are humans not as gullible as we think?

Registration for this event is REQUIRED.  Please use this link to register: https://pitt.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_aS8mMTsATACl7_58bheBbQ

Edouard Machery, Director

The Center of Philosophy Science

University of Pittsburgh