[PhilPhys] Warsaw Spacetime Colloquium: Claus Kiefer (27 November on Zoom)

Antonio Vassallo antonio.vassallo1977 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 10:23:41 CET 2020

(With apologies for cross-posting)

On Friday, 27 November, Claus Kiefer (University of Cologne) will give a
talk entitled “Time in quantum gravity” (abstract below).

The meeting will take place online on Zoom (16:00-18:00 CET). If you have
not registered yet, you can do so by sending a message to
antonio.vassallo at pw.edu.pl.

The Colloquium is organized by the Philosophy of Physics Group
<https://icfo.ans.pw.edu.pl/en/?page_id=3168> at the International Center
for Formal Ontology (Warsaw University of Technology). The program for the
winter semester can be found here
<https://icfo.ans.pw.edu.pl/en/?page_id=3389>.

The recordings of the previous meetings are available on the ICFO's YouTube
channel
<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLM-1yNCyvJJAfiq7LDFjfYc1I5OOxhJ1A>.

ABSTRACT
Time is absolute in standard quantum theory and dynamical in general
relativity. The combination of the two theories into a theory of quantum
gravity thus leads to a `problem of time’. In my talk, I shall investigate
those consequences for the concept of time that can be drawn without a
detailed knowledge of quantum gravity. The only assumptions are the
experimentally supported universality of the superposition principle and
the recovery of general relativity in the classical limit. Among the
consequences are the fundamental timelessness of quantum gravity, the
approximate nature of a semiclassical time, and the correlation of entropy
with the size of the Universe. The last consequence gives rise to the
irreversibility of our world.