[PhilPhys] Warsaw Spacetime Colloquium: Radin Dardashti (11 December on Zoom)

Antonio Vassallo antonio.vassallo1977 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 10:47:35 CET 2020

(With apologies for cross-posting)

On Friday, 11 December, Radin Dardashti (University of Wuppertal) will give
a talk entitled “The rise and fall of scientific problems” (abstract below).

The meeting will take place online on Zoom (16:00-18:00 CET). If you have
not registered yet, you can do so by sending a message to
antonio.vassallo at pw.edu.pl.

The Colloquium is organized by the Philosophy of Physics Group
<https://icfo.ans.pw.edu.pl/en/?page_id=3168> at the International Center
for Formal Ontology (Warsaw University of Technology). The program for the
winter semester can be found here
<https://icfo.ans.pw.edu.pl/en/?page_id=3389>.

The recordings of the previous meetings are available on the ICFO's YouTube
channel
<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLM-1yNCyvJJAfiq7LDFjfYc1I5OOxhJ1A>.

ABSTRACT
The everyday practice of scientists is to a large extent determined by the
scientific problems they are confronted with. The conceptual analysis of
scientific problems and how they change, therefore, may allow for a more
fine-grained investigation of the development of a scientific discipline.
In this talk I discuss what constitutes a scientific problem, what its
elements are and how they change, following and building on the work of
Thomas Nickles. I will illustrate the advantages of a more problem-focused
approach in understanding the development of modern particle physics and
shed some light on recent debates about the naturalness problem and whether
it constitutes a “genuine” problem.