[PhilPhys] Warsaw Spacetime Colloquium: Sean Carroll (26 February on Zoom)

Antonio Vassallo antonio.vassallo1977 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 10:38:48 CET 2021

(With apologies for cross-posting)

On Friday, 26 February, Sean Carroll (Caltech) will give a talk entitled
“From Quantum Mechanics to Spacetime” (abstract below).

The meeting will take place online on Zoom (17:00-19:00 CET). If you have
not registered yet, you can do so by sending a message to
antonio.vassallo at pw.edu.pl.

The Colloquium is organized by the Philosophy of Physics Group
<https://icfo.ans.pw.edu.pl/en/?page_id=3168> at the International Center
for Formal Ontology (Warsaw University of Technology). The recordings of
the previous meetings are available on the ICFO's YouTube channel
<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLM-1yNCyvJJAfiq7LDFjfYc1I5OOxhJ1A>.

ABSTRACT
Nine decades in, the foundations of quantum mechanics remain mysterious.
Meanwhile, modern physicists puzzle over how to reconcile quantum mechanics
with gravity. I will suggest that these problems are related, and that a
promising strategy suggests itself: rather than "quantizing gravity", we
should look for gravity within quantum mechanics. This approach has
interesting consequences for how we think about the nature of space and
time.