[PhilPhys] Lisbon Philosophy of Physics Seminars: Baptiste Le Bihan (18 May on Zoom)

Andrea Oldofredi andreaoldofredi88 at gmail.com
Fri May 13 10:40:54 CEST 2022

Dear List Members,

On Wednesday 18 May, *Baptiste Le Bihan* (University of Geneva) will give a
talk titled "*Composing and Causing Spacetime in Quantum Gravity*"
(abstract below).

The series of online seminars is organized in the context of the activities
of the LanCog Research Group <https://cful.letras.ulisboa.pt/lancog/> at
the Centre of Philosophy of the University of Lisbon, and will focus on the
foundations of quantum and spacetime physics.

The meeting will be online on Zoom (17:00-19:00 CEST). If you have not
registered yet, you can do so here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1pe9-CUZwKFA_uS0j-wD7bRQatIO-SdzxBqKlmkM6XOY/edit?usp=drive_web>
.

You can address any question to Andrea Oldofredi (
aoldofredi at letras.ulisboa.pt).

ABSTRACT:
According to a number of approaches in quantum gravity spacetime does not
exist fundamentally. Rather, spacetime exists by depending on another, more
fundamental, non-spatiotemporal structure. A prevalent opinion in the
literature is that this dependence should not be analysed in terms of
composition. We should not say, that is, that spacetime depends on an
ontology of non-spatiotemporal entities in virtue of having them as parts.
But is that really right? On the contrary, I will argue that a mereological
approach to dependent spacetime is not only viable, but promises to enhance
our understanding of the physical situation. I will then discuss some of
the roles that causality might play in these scenarios. Based on a
collaboration with Sam Baron.

Best regards,

Andrea Oldofredi
----------

Dr. Andrea Oldofredi

Postdoc FCT

Internet Resources:
https://unil.academia.edu/AndreaOldofredi
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Andrea_Oldofredi

Mailing Address:
University of Lisbon
Centre of Philosophy
Alameda da Universidade, 1600-214, Lisbon
Portugal