[PhilPhys] Lisbon Philosophy of Physics Seminars: Paula Reichert (1 June on Zoom)

Andrea Oldofredi andreaoldofredi88 at gmail.com
Fri May 27 11:13:58 CEST 2022

Dear List Members,

On Wednesday 1 June *Paula Reichert* (Ludwig Maximilian University) will
give a talk titled "*Shape Dynamics and the Big Bang*" (abstract below).

The series of online seminars is organized in the context of the activities
of the LanCog Research Group <https://cful.letras.ulisboa.pt/lancog/> at
the Centre of Philosophy of the University of Lisbon, and will focus on the
foundations of quantum and spacetime physics.

The meeting will be online on Zoom (17:00-19:00 CEST). If you have not
registered yet, you can do so here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1pe9-CUZwKFA_uS0j-wD7bRQatIO-SdzxBqKlmkM6XOY/edit?usp=drive_web>
.

You can address any question to Andrea Oldofredi (
aoldofredi at letras.ulisboa.pt).

ABSTRACT:

Shape dynamics is a relational theory of gravity in the spirit of Leibniz
and Mach. It was developed as an alternative to Newton's theory with the
aim to eliminate absolute space and time from the description. Today's
shape dynamics serves as an alternative to Einstein's theory of general
relativity, where it tracks 4d diffeomorphism invariance for 3d spatial
conformal invariance plus relational time. In the first part of this talk,
I will introduce the conceptual and mathematical ideas behind shape
dynamics and present the way it has developed historically. In the second
part of the talk, I will focus on the way it tackles the Big Bang which, in
Einstein's theory, arises as a singularity of zero scale. This does not
necessarily affect the shape (that is, conformal or angular) degrees of
freedom which might be evolved through the singularity thus providing an
eternal one-past-two-futures evolution of our universe.

Best regards,

Andrea Oldofredi

----------

Dr. Andrea Oldofredi

Postdoc FCT

Internet Resources:
https://unil.academia.edu/AndreaOldofredi
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Andrea_Oldofredi

Mailing Address:
University of Lisbon
Centre of Philosophy
Alameda da Universidade, 1600-214, Lisbon
Portugal