[PhilPhys] Lisbon Philosophy of Physics Seminars: Sabine Hossenfelder (November 16 on Zoom)

Andrea Oldofredi andreaoldofredi88 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 20:50:33 CET 2022

Dear List Members,

On Wednesday November 16 Sabine Hossenfelder (Frankfurt Institute for
Advanced Studies) will give a talk at the Lisbon Philosophy of Physics
Seminars titled "*Superdeterminism: The Forgotten Solution*" (abstract
below).

These events are organized in the context of the activities of the LanCog
Research Group <https://cful.letras.ulisboa.pt/lancog/> at the Centre of
Philosophy of the University of Lisbon, and they will focus on the
foundations of quantum and spacetime physics.

The meeting will be held on Zoom (17:00-19:00 CET). If you have not
registered yet, you can do so here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1pe9-CUZwKFA_uS0j-wD7bRQatIO-SdzxBqKlmkM6XOY/edit?usp=drive_web>
.

You can address any question to Andrea Oldofredi (
aoldofredi at letras.ulisboa.pt).

ABSTRACT:

What is a measurement? This, it turns out, is the most difficult question
in physics today. In this talk, I will explain why the measurement problem
is important and why all attempts to solve it so far have failed. I will
then discuss the obvious solution to the problem that was, unfortunately,
discarded half a century ago without ever being seriously considered:
Superdeterminism.
After addressing some common objections to this idea, I will
summarize the existing approaches to develop a theory for it.

Best regards,

Andrea Oldofredi
----------

Dr. Andrea Oldofredi

Postdoc FCT

Internet Resources:
https://unil.academia.edu/AndreaOldofredi
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Andrea_Oldofredi

Mailing Address:
University of Lisbon
Centre of Philosophy
Alameda da Universidade, 1600-214, Lisbon
Portugal