[PhilPhys] Reminder: Mario Hubert (November 23 on Zoom) Lisbon Philosophy of Physics Seminars

Andrea Oldofredi andreaoldofredi88 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 13:36:13 CET 2022

Dear List Members,

On Wednesday November 23 Mario Hubert (American University in Cairo) will
give a talk at the Lisbon Philosophy of Physics Seminars titled "*The
Self-Interaction Problem as the Measurement Problem of Classical
Electrodynamics*" (abstract below).

These events are organized in the context of the activities of the LanCog
Research Group <https://cful.letras.ulisboa.pt/lancog/> at the Centre of
Philosophy of the University of Lisbon, and they will focus on the
foundations of quantum and spacetime physics.

The meeting will be held on Zoom (17:00-19:00 CET). If you have not
registered yet, you can do so here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1pe9-CUZwKFA_uS0j-wD7bRQatIO-SdzxBqKlmkM6XOY/edit?usp=drive_web>
.

You can address any question to Andrea Oldofredi (
aoldofredi at letras.ulisboa.pt).

ABSTRACT:

The self-interaction problem is *the* foundational problem of classical
electrodynamics. Although it has been recognized for around 100 years, it
has not been satisfactorily solved so far. I show that it parallels the
quantum mechanical measurement problem in many respects. The parallels
reach from the formulation of the problem and how possible strategies for a
solution look like to the abandonment of tackling this problem by the
majority of physicists. One reason for this is that physicists have hoped
to overcome the classical self-interaction problem in quantum
electrodynamics, but I argue that we should rather find a solution within
classical physics, because these classical solutions may show us how to
reformulate quantum electrodynamics.

Best regards,

Andrea Oldofredi
----------

Dr. Andrea Oldofredi

Postdoc FCT

Internet Resources:
https://unil.academia.edu/AndreaOldofredi
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Andrea_Oldofredi

Mailing Address:
University of Lisbon
Centre of Philosophy
Alameda da Universidade, 1600-214, Lisbon
Portugal