[PhilPhys] Lisbon Philosophy of Physics Seminars: Catalina Curceanu (December 14 on Zoom)

Andrea Oldofredi andreaoldofredi88 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 13:41:22 CET 2022

Dear List Members,

On Wednesday December 14 Catalina Curceanu (LNF-INFN, Frascati) will give a
talk at the Lisbon Philosophy of Physics Seminars titled "*Testing Quantum
Mechanics Underground: Sneaking a look at God’s cards*" (abstract below).

These events are organized in the context of the activities of the LanCog
Research Group <https://cful.letras.ulisboa.pt/lancog/> at the Centre of
Philosophy of the University of Lisbon, and they will focus on the
foundations of quantum and spacetime physics.

The meeting will be held on Zoom (17:00-19:00 CET). If you have not
registered yet, you can do so here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1pe9-CUZwKFA_uS0j-wD7bRQatIO-SdzxBqKlmkM6XOY/edit?usp=drive_web>
.

You can address any question to Andrea Oldofredi (
aoldofredi at letras.ulisboa.pt).

ABSTRACT:
We are experimentally investigating possible departures from the standard
quantum mechanics’ predictions at the Gran Sasso underground laboratory in
Italy.
In particular, with radiation detectors we are searching signals predicted
by the collapse models (spontaneous emission of radiation) which were
proposed to solve the “measurement problem” in quantum physics and signals
coming from a possible violation of the Pauli Exclusion Principle.
I shall discuss our recent results which ruled out the natural
parameter-free version of the gravity-related collapse model and the
implications for Orch OR consciousness models. I shall then present more
generic results on testing CSL (Continuous Spontaneous Localization)
collapse models and discuss future perspectives. Finally, I shall briefly
discuss the VIP experiment with which we look for possible violations of
the Pauli Exclusion Principle by searching for “impossible” atomic
transitions and comment on the impact of this research in relation to
Quantum Gravity models. Borrowing the title of a beautiful book of
Giancarlo Ghirardi – I shall tell you the story of how we are sneaking a
look at God’s cards in the cosmic silence!

Best regards,

Andrea Oldofredi
----------

Dr. Andrea Oldofredi

Postdoc FCT

Internet Resources:
https://unil.academia.edu/AndreaOldofredi
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Andrea_Oldofredi

Mailing Address:
University of Lisbon
Centre of Philosophy
Alameda da Universidade, 1600-214, Lisbon
Portugal