[PhilPhys] Lisbon Philosophy of Physics Seminars: Peter Morgan (May 17 on Zoom)

Andrea Oldofredi andreaoldofredi88 at gmail.com
Mon May 15 11:36:20 CEST 2023

Dear List Members,

On Wednesday May 17 Peter Morgan (Yale University) will give a talk at
the Lisbon
Philosophy of Physics Seminars titled "*A Field & Signal Analysis Approach
to Quantum Measurement*" (abstract below).

These events are organized in the context of the activities of the LanCog
Research Group <https://cful.letras.ulisboa.pt/lancog/> at the Centre of
Philosophy of the University of Lisbon, and they will focus on the
foundations of quantum and spacetime physics.

The meeting will be held on Zoom (17:00-19:00 CEST). If you have not
registered yet, you can do so here
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1pe9-CUZwKFA_uS0j-wD7bRQatIO-SdzxBqKlmkM6XOY/edit?usp=drive_web>
.

You can address any question to Andrea Oldofredi (
aoldofredi at letras.ulisboa.pt).

ABSTRACT:

Events —in a field & signal analysis approach— happen in devices that are
deliberately engineered to exhibit events that are identified by analysis
of their output signals; we do not use rocks.  When we change a device's
surroundings, the statistics of events change, then we use a formal
mathematics to describe historical experiments and to predict future
statistics for new interventions.

Alisa Bokulich cites Dirac suggesting, against the crowd that wishes to
modify Quantum Mechanics, that we should consider modifying Classical
Mechanics —various theorems show that CM is less complete than QM, right?—
which we will do here by (1) using the Poisson bracket to introduce
noncommutativity as a way to model different interventions and causality
and by (2) introducing a Poincaré invariant noise into a classical random
field theory on Minkowski space as an equivalent of vacuum fluctuations,
putting us into the mathematics of noisy signal analysis. We can show that
this modified CM is as empirically capable as QM, but it's different in a
way that allows us to rethink the measurement problem.

In contrast to the many difficulties we encounter when we say that particle
properties cause events, we can —in a field & signal analysis approach—
embed events and signals on signal lines into fields on a wider space-time.

Best regards,

Andrea Oldofredi
----------

Dr. Andrea Oldofredi

Postdoc FCT

Internet Resources:
https://unil.academia.edu/AndreaOldofredi
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Andrea_Oldofredi

Mailing Address:
University of Lisbon
Centre of Philosophy
Alameda da Universidade, 1600-214, Lisbon
Portugal