[PhilPhys] Call for participation: CHSTM working group on the History and Philosophy of Contemporary Theoretical Physics

Guy Hetzroni guyhe at openu.ac.il
Mon Sep 4 07:28:30 CEST 2023

Dear all,

On behalf of the convenors of the History and Philosophy of Contemporary
Theoretical Physics working group at the Consortium for the History of
Science, Technology, and Medicine, I want to extend an open call for
participation for the upcoming academic year.

To register, please visit the group website:
https://www.chstm.org/content/history-and-philosophy-contemporary-theoretical-physics-0

This year, the working group will focus on the philosophical and conceptual
foundations that guided the development of theoretical physics from the
mid-19th to the early 20th century. The scope of the group readings will
include sources associated with the philosophical foundations of modern
physics (e.g. by Mach and Poincaré) and the early development of quantum
theory and general relativity (e.g. by Heisenberg and Einstein) together
with their elaborations (e.g. in unified field theory). Each week, the
group will host a scholar whose work is focused on one of this year's
themes. The reading for each month's meeting will include both a secondary
source by the hosted scholar, and a selection from the primary sources on
which it is based. The aim of this working group is to foster a network of
scholars working on the history and philosophy of modern physics, and to
discuss both historical papers and recent work by its members.

In our first meeting for the new academic year, which will take place on
September 13th, at 15:30 CET (9:30 EDT), we will host Paul Forman, and
discuss his "Why Was It Schrödinger Who Developed de Broglie's Ideas?"
(1969). The paper has been uploaded to the group page.

In the following two meetings, we will host Yemima Ben-Menahem (on
Poincaré) and Karim Thébault (on Mach).

The group meetings will run for an hour and a half and will be held over
Zoom on the second Wednesday of each month.

Hope to see you there,

Guy.

Dr. Guy Hetzroni
Department of Natural Sciences