[PhilPhys] Lunch Time Talk - Nick Huggett - FRIDAY and Conference Information

Center for Phil Sci center4philsci at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 20:08:05 CET 2024

The Center for Philosophy of Science invites you to join us for a Lunch Time Talk.  Attend in person, Room 1117 on the 11th floor of the Cathedral of Learning at the University of Pittsburgh or visit our live stream on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrRp47ZMXD7NXO3a9Gyh2sg.
LTT: Nick Huggett
Friday, March 29 @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm EDT

This talk will also be available live streamed on:  Zoom at https://pitt.zoom.us/j/91212860150.

Title: The Physics of Memory

Abstract:  Much of the mystery of time arises from the asymmetry of past versus future: not only asymmetries themselves, such as the apparent ‘openness’ of the future and ‘settledness’ of the past, but the ‘passage’ of time – ‘turning’ open future into settled past. In turn, much of the difference between open and settled lies in the knowledge asymmetry: that we know so much more, so much better, about the past than future. In Time and Chance David Albert proposes that the asymmetry arises because knowable particular matters of fact are just those made likely by physical law, given uniform probability over states compatible with the ‘current surveyable condition’ and an asymmetric ‘Past Hypothesis’. This paper presents an ‘Information Gathering and Utilizing System’ as a model of memory, in order to better understand the physical nature of the asymmetry. I will argue that we can in fact know more about the past than Albert’s condition allows.

Based on my paper, “Reading the Past in the Present”, in Loewer, Weslake, and Winsberg (ends) The Probability Map of the Universe.

Revitalizing Science and Values

Conference Dates: April 5-7, 2024

Location: Center for Philosophy of Science, Cathedral of Learning, University of Pittsburgh

 Information and Registration: https://www.centerphilsci.pitt.edu/event/revitalizing-science-and-values/

The arena of science and values has grown in size and prominence in recent philosophy of science. But debates about the role of science remain fairly limited in terms of both the scope of topics discussed and in the range of views expressed. This conference aims to broaden the horizons of work on science and values, partly by making room for new (or new versions of older) ideas and partly by getting it to interact with other parts of philosophy.

Keynote Speakers:

Arnon Levy - The Hebrew University of Jerusalem

Wendy Parker - Virginia Tech.

Andrew Schroeder - Claremont McKenna College

Jacob Stegenga -  University of Cambridge

Zina Ward - Florida State University

We are pleased to announce that all Keynote Presentations will be Zoomed.  Please visit the conference website above for the times and dates of the presentations.