[PhilPhys] TUESDAY Lunch Time Talk - Saira Khan - A Commitment Account of Norm Externalisation

Center for Phil Sci center4philsci at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 16:25:55 CEST 2024

The Center for Philosophy of Science invites you to join us for our Lunch Time Talks.  Attend in person, Room 1117 on the 11th floor of the Cathedral of Learning at the University of Pittsburgh or visit our live stream on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrRp47ZMXD7NXO3a9Gyh2sg.

This Lunch Time Talk is presented by The Center for Philosophy of Science's Postdoctoral Fellow, Saira Khan. If you would like information about positions for the 2025-2026 academic year, please see the bottom of this notice.

LTT: Saira Khan

Tuesday, April 16 @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm EDT

Zoom at https://pitt.zoom.us/j/94941626632

Title: A Commitment Account of Norm Externalisation

Abstract:  It has been argued that moral norms fundamentally differ in character from conventional norms. One of the distinctive features of moral norms is thought to be their externalised character. To say that a norm is externalised is to say that it is experienced as imposed on us from the outside and exacting a demand on all, regardless of their group (Stanford 2018). Stanford (2018) argues that externalisation evolved to facilitate correlated interaction among cooperators. However, he failed to specify the precise means of correlated interaction. In this paper, I argue that the mechanism behind correlated interaction on the basis of externalised norms is commitment. I offer a commitment account of the emergence of externalised norms that situates their evolution as part of a coevolution of commitment and cooperation over human history.

This talk will also be available live streamed on:

Information about 2025 - 2026 Fellowships

 If you would like information about our Fellowships please visit our websites. We will be accepting applications this Fall.

Postdoctoral Fellowships: https://www.centerphilsci.pitt.edu/programs/postdoc-fellowships/program-overview/

Visting Fellows Program: https://www.centerphilsci.pitt.edu/programs/visiting-fellows/program-overview/