[PhilPhys] Annual Lecture Series FRIDAY - Thomas Icard- Causal Abstraction and Computational Explanation

Center for Phil Sci center4philsci at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 20:06:04 CEST 2024

The Center for Philosophy of Science at the University of Pittsburgh invites you to join us for our 64th Annual Lecture Series Talk. Attend in person in room 1008 in the Cathedral of Learning or visit our live stream on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrRp47ZMXD7NXO3a9Gyh2sg.

The Annual Lecture Series, the Center’s oldest program, was established in 1960, the year when Adolf Grünbaum founded the Center. Each year the series consists of six to eight lectures, about three quarters of which are given by philosophers, historians, and scientists from other universities.

ALS – Thomas Icard - https://philosophy.stanford.edu/people/thomas-icard

April 19 @ 3:30 pm - 6:00 pm EDT

This talk will also be our 2023-24 Adolf Grünbaum Memorial Lecture.

This talk will also be available live streamed on:  Zoom at https://pitt.zoom.us/j/91676578237<https://pitt.zoom.us/j/91676578237>

Title: Causal Abstraction and Computational Explanation

Abstract:  A familiar idea in cognitive science is that it can be useful to study the mind at different levels of analysis. This idea of levels is rarely made precise, however. Adapting tools from recent theoretical work on causal abstraction and from logic, we offer a formal proposal for what it takes to have a low-level system implement a high-level program or algorithm. A concrete payoff is that the resulting framework allows us to test — in principle, and often in practice — whether an artificial neural network has (approximately) induced a specific high-level, “symbolic” solution to a problem. In addition to refining the theory of abstraction, we also hope to gain greater clarity on the nature of computational explanation.

The History of the 2023-2024 Adolf Grünbaum Memorial Lecture

Adolf Grünbaum was the first Andrew Mellon Professor of Philosophy at the University of Pittsburgh from 1960, when he was hired away from Lehigh, until his death in November 2018. He was the world preeminent philosopher of physics of his generation, and he was instrumental in building philosophy and philosophy of science at Pitt. Among other things, Adolf founded the Center for Philosophy of Science in 1960, and remained its director until 1978. Adolf also inaugurated the Annual Lecture Series in 1961, and so this is the 52nd occurrence of this lecture series. His works include very important books such as Philosophical Problems of Space and Time (1963) and The Foundations of Psychoanalysis (1984).

In honor and memory of his legacy of prolific and profound contributions to the field of philosophy, the Center has established an annual Adolf Grünbaum Memorial Lecture thanks to a gift from his daughter Barbara Grünbaum and her family. We are extremely grateful for this gift.

We are delighted that this year the Adolf Grünbaum memorial lecture will be given by Professor Thomas Icard.

To learn more about past speakers, use the link here:  <https://www.centerphilsci.pitt.edu/events-and-more/annual-lecture-series/grunbaum-memorial-lecture/> https://www.centerphilsci.pitt.edu/events-and-more/annual-lecture-series/grunbaum-memorial-lecture/