architecture_and_phenomenology_call_for_abstracts

Kenéz László kenez.laszlo at gmail.com
Mon May 8 12:10:19 CEST 2006

Tisztelt Címzettek,
konferenciafelhívást mellékeltem.
MFE

Dear Mr./Mrs.
We are pleased to launch the second call for abstracts of
Architecture and Phenomenology international conference. Please
forward to colleagues and students that might be interested.
Gratefully,

Dr. Iris Aravot
Associate Professor
Chair of Architecture and Phenomenology
International Conference, 20-24 May 2007
Faculty of Architecture and Town Planning,
Technion I.I.T., Haifa 32000, Israel

                      second call for papers

A r c h i t e c t u r e    &       20-24 May 2007

P h e n o m e n o l o g y

I n t e r n a t i o n a l  C o n f e r e n c e

Faculty of Architecture and Town planning, Technion, I.I.T., Haifa,
Israel.

        In recent years, the architectural intellectual discourse underwent

a significant transformation as the historical and historiographical
scholarships were influenced by critical theories and methodologies.
Architectural history is not any longer considered as a grand-
narrative, but rather interpreted as a multiplicity of political
conditions of identity created by spatiality and architecture.
Nevertheless, while most researches effectively elaborate on the
interrelations manifested by space and architecture, they sometimes
collapsed into narrow points of view, neglecting to address the
multilayered significations of the architectural texts as such. In
order to propose a broad discourse, in this conference, we would like
to return to phenomenology and reconsider the relations between this
philosophical discipline and architecture. In parallel to
intellectual inclinations in other fields and in the light of the
social and technological revolutions we witnessed at the end of the
millennium, the conference will seek scholarship that is based on
phenomenological interpretations. Through phenomenological
examinations of, among others, the following themes – the relations
between subject and object, the state of body in space and place,
matter and memory, the ethics and politics of the poetic, and senses
of place – we would like to reexamine the significance of
phenomenology for contemporary architecture. In the light of
contemporary cultural, political, technological and social
conditions, how can we think in phenomenological fashion about
architectural concepts such as place, space, tectonic, matter, and
dwelling? What are the means that phenomenology provides for the
architectural discourse and practice today?

Themes:

- Glocalism: Place-Making in Global Conditions
   - Digital Culture and the Reshaping of Experience
   - Essentialism: In-between Object and Subject
   - Architectural Selves: the Embodiment of Place
   - Matter and Memory: the Objects of Consciousness
   - The Transcendental in Architecture and the Question of Origin
   - Revisiting Husserl and Heidegger
   - The Depth of Vision: Phenomenological Re-presentations
   - Architecture In-between Ethics and Poetics
  - Becoming Place: Performance in and of Space
  - Spatial Thinking in Sartre, Merleau-Ponty and Levinas
   - The Time of Space/The Place of Time
   - The Sustainable in Architecture
Scientific Committee:

Alberto Perez-Gomez, Andrew Benjamin, Arie Peled, Antoine Picon,
Dalibor Vesely, David Seamon, Edna Langenthal, Eran Neuman, Hagi
Kenaan, Ion Copoeru, Iris Aravot, Juhani Pallasmaa, Karsten Harries,
Kenneth Frampton, Robert Mugerauer

Call for papers and Important Dates:

We are inviting historians, theoreticians, researchers and scholars
of various fields and backgrounds to submit a paper proposal for one
of the below listed themes.

Please email a 500 words abstract, describing the paper proposal to
the following email address archphen at technion.ac.il by June 22, 2006.
First drafts of the papers are due on October 22, 2006.
Final papers are due on March 22, 2007.

Registration fees are $400 per academic professionals, and $100 per
students.
- Includes: book of abstracts, festive reception, coffee and
refreshments, lunch,
     farewell tour and lunch in the Old City of Acco (Acre)
     Acco (Acre) is an ancient  port of Crusaders outlines with rich
historical and archaeological sites.
- One day admission:  General: $100   Students: $30

Venue:

The conference will take place at the Faculty of Architecture and
Town Planning at the Technion - Israel Institute of Technology,
Haifa, Israel  between 20 and 24 of May, 2007. Israel's prominent
technological institution, the Technion is located in Haifa on the
Carmel Mountain. As the center of the northern Israeli metropolitan,
Haifa offers a unique view on local region and culture.

Sponsors:
Technion, Israel Institute of Technology
Faculty of Architecture and Town Planning, I.I.T.
The Center for Architectural Research and Development, I.I.T.
Municipality of Acco
Israel Association for Canadian Studies
Italian Culture Center

(maintained by HPS/Eötvös University)