[MaFLa] Fw: invitation to a lecture and film screening

Laszlo E. Szabo leszabo at phil.elte.hu
Sat May 24 01:13:20 CEST 2008

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 10:12:37 +0200
From: "Krisztina Biber" <Biberk at ceu.hu>
To: <whatson at ceu.hu>
Subject: invitation to a lecture and film screening

The CEU Philosophy Department cordially invites you to a lecture and
film screening

on Thursday, 29. May from 5.00 PM in the Auditorium ( 9. Nador str.)

Abstract:
Recently, the teaching of evolutionary theory in high school has been
questioned in Romania, as well as in some other states in our region.
This event is intended to raise the consciousness of the scientific,
pedagogical, historical, philosophical and religious issues involved in
the debate.

The event will start with a short description of the current situation
in Romania and other countries. It will be followed by a lecture on
Evolution versus Creationism delivered by Hanoch Ben-Yami (Philosophy
Department,CEU) Next, we shall screen the film Inherit the Wind

Inherit the Wind (1960)
Directed by Stanley Kramer. With Spencer Tracy, Fredric March, Gene
Kelly 128 min

Inherit the Wind is a fictionalized account of the 1925 Scopes "Monkey"
Trial, which resulted in John T. Scopes' conviction for teaching
Charles Darwin's theory of evolution to a high school science class,
contrary to a Tennessee state law that proscribed the teaching of
anything besides creationism. The film was honored with four Academy
Awards nominations.

Kriszta Biber
Department Coordinator
Philosophy Department
Tel: 36-1-327-3806
Fax: 36-1-327-3072
E-mail: biberk at ceu.hu

--
L a s z l o   E.   S z a b o
Department of Logic, Institute of Philosophy