[MaFLa] reminder: philosophy talks on May 25,26

Krisztina Biber Biberk at ceu.hu
Mon May 25 13:29:32 CEST 2009

The CEU Philosophy Department cordially invites you to a talk
by
Prof. Dmitri Panchenko (CEU/SEP Visiting Research Fellow, St Petersburg
State University, Smolny college))
on
Karl Popper and the Presocratics: In Search for an Ideal Philosophical
Community

Monday, 25 May,2009, 4.30 PM, Zrinyi 14, Room 412

Popper’s admiration of the Presocratics did not arise from the
conviction that these philosophers had been superior to the others in
solving the problems with which Popper himself was preoccupied. The
world of the Presocratics was rather conceived by him as a kind of
utopia. The Presocratics came gradually to appear to his mind as an
ideal philosophical community. In an idealized world, its main heroes
acquired idealized characteristics. Nevertheless Popper’s contribution
to the study of particular Presocratics was significant. Moreover,
seeing the Presocratics as an ideal philosophic community was a
discovery rather than misconstruction.

and:

The CEU Philosophy Department cordially invites you to a talk
by
Susanna Schellenberg (Australian National University)
on
"In Defense of Perceptual Content"

Tuesday, 26 May, 2009, 4.30 PM, Zrinyi 14, Room 412

ABSTRACT

Recently the thesis that experience is fundamentally a matter of
representing the world as being a certain way has been questioned by
austere relationalists. I defend this thesis by developing a view of
perceptual content that avoids the objections of austere relationalists.
The main thesis of the paper is that on a relational understanding of
perceptual content, the fundamental insights of austere relationalism do
not compete with perceptual experience being representational. I argue
that most austere relationalist objections to the thesis that experience
has content are objections only against accounts of perceptual content
on which perceptual relations to the world play no explanatory role.
With austere relationalists, I will argue that perceptual experience is
fundamentally relational. But against austere relationalists, I will
argue that it is both fundamentally relational and fundamentally
representational.

Kriszta Biber
Department Coordinator
Philosophy Department