[MaFLa] Factive Pictorial Experience: what is really special about photographs? - 1 December 4.30 PM

Krisztina Biber biberk at ceu.hu
Wed Nov 25 09:03:41 CET 2009

The CEU Philosophy Department cordially invites you to a talk
(as part of its Departmental Colloquium series)
by
Rob Hopkins (University of Sheffield))
on
Factive Pictorial Experience: what is really special about photographs?

Tuesday, 1 December 2009, 4.30 PM, Zrinyi 14, Room 412

ABSTRACT

What is special about photographs? Traditional photography is, I argue, a system that sustains factive pictorial experience. Photographs sustain pictorial experience: we see things in them. Further, that experience is factive: if such-and-such is seen in a photograph, then such-and-such obtained when the photo was taken. More precisely, photographs are designed to sustain factive pictorial experience, and that experience is what we have when, in the photographic system as a whole, everything works as it is supposed to. In this respect photographs differ from handmade pictures. This distinctive feature can be used to explain what is epistemically special about photographs, and also to give an account of the distinctive phenomenology of looking at a photograph rather than a handmade picture. All this provides the background against which to assess claims that digital photography differs from traditional in certain key ways.

Kriszta Biber
Department Coordinator
Philosophy Department
Tel: 36-1-327-3806