[MaFLa] invitation - `Three Approaches to Phenomenal Content`16 February, 4.30 PM

Krisztina Biber Biberk at ceu.hu
Fri Feb 12 14:23:00 CET 2010

The CEU Philosophy Department cordially invites you to a talk
(as part of its Departmental Colloquium series)
by
Paul Noordhof (University of York)
on
Three Approaches to Phenomenal Content

Tuesday, 16 February 2010, 4.30 PM, Zrinyi 14, Room 412

ABSTRACT

I compare three approaches to the determination of phenomenal content (that which characterises what it is like to have mental states or events). They are representation, relation, and property possession. For a variety of reasons, and at the risk of spoiling the suspense, representation (my favoured position) comes out on top. Along the way, I consider spectrum inversion, blurred vision, unconscious representational states, the phenomenal difference between belief and perception, and the implications of the existence of imaginary and hallucinatory states.

Kriszta Biber
Department Coordinator
Philosophy Department
Tel: 36-1-327-3806