[MaFLa] Scepticism about one's own existence,9th March - 4.30 PM

Krisztina Biber Biberk at ceu.hu
Wed Mar 3 08:53:39 CET 2010

The CEU Philosophy Department cordially invites you to a talk
(as part of its Departmental Colloquium series)
by
Rory Madden (University College London))
on
Scepticism about one's own existence

Tuesday, 9 March, 2010, 4.30 PM, Zrinyi 14, Room 412

ABSTRACT

Is it beyond doubt that one exists?  In this talk I will describe a number of ways of constructing scenarios which form the basis of a  sceptical challenge to the knowledge that one exists .  Some of these possibilities depend upon unorthodox metaphysical views about the  nature of existence, or the conditions for thought ownership -- but some of them do not.  Instead they build on the general point that a  sceptical scenario concerning a certain proposition p need not be a case in which p is false. I will conclude that scepticism about one's  own existence should be taken no less seriously than other, more familiar, forms of sceptical challenge.

Kriszta Biber
Department Coordinator
Philosophy Department
Tel: 36-1-327-3806