[MaFLa] invitation to a talk - 'A school of morals? The ethics of theatre' - 2 November, 4.30 PM

Krisztina Biber Biberk at ceu.hu
Wed Oct 27 09:24:15 CEST 2010

The CEU Department of Philosophy cordially invites you to a talk
(as part of its Departmental Colloquium series)
by
Tom Stern (UCL)
on
'A school of morals? The ethics of theatre'

Tuesday, 2 November, 2010, 4.30 PM, Zrinyi 14, Room 412

ABSTRACT

Philosophy and theatre have always enjoyed a close but troubled
relationship. My talk explores one dimension of this relationship – that
between theatre and morality. Some philosophers have claimed that
theatre has a special role to play in training us to be moral; others
argue that, to the contrary, it is of the essence of theatre that it is
a foolish,deceitful entertainment which, at the very best, keeps wicked
people distracted for a couple hours so that, for this brief period of
time, they don’t find it quite so easy to steal, flatter and fornicate.
I’ll be sketching out the maze of arguments and, if possible, trying to
point to a way out.

 Kriszta Biber
Department Coordinator
Philosophy Department