[MaFLa] invitation to a talk -`Sensory Exploration and Empirical Certainty`-16. November, 4.30 PM

Krisztina Biber Biberk at ceu.hu
Wed Nov 10 09:05:36 CET 2010

The CEU Department of Philosophy cordially invites you to a talk
(as part of its Departmental Colloquium series)
by
Mohan Matthen (University of Toronto)
on
`Sensory Exploration and Empirical Certainty`

Tuesday, 16 November, 2010, 4.30 PM, Zrinyi 14, Room 412

ABSTRACT

Sensory exploration is an interactive multisensory course of action by which we gather information about our surroundings. I will argue that it is a more standard way of gathering knowledge from the senses than passive momentary experience. I shall argue that in the limit, sensory exploration gives us empirical certainty. (A part of this talk is devoted to explaining empirical certainty, and how it is different from Cartesian certainty.)

 Kriszta Biber
Department Coordinator
Philosophy Department
Tel: 36-1-327-3806