[MaFLa] Fwd: reminder:`Ten years of philosophy at Central European University` conference - January 27-28, 2011

Krisztina Biber Biberk at ceu.hu
Thu Jan 13 12:29:21 CET 2011

The Department of Philosophy at CEU cordially invites you to its

10th Anniversary Conference titled
 Ten Years of Philosophy at Central European University
January 27-28, 2011
The Department of Philosophy at CEU was founded in 2000, and hence we
celebrate not only the 20th anniversary of CEU, but also the 10th
anniversary of our Department this year. For this occasion, we organized
a conference
with the participation of outstanding members of the profession who
contributed to the CEU philosophy program in the last ten years with
seminars, lectures, advice and friendship.

Thursday, 27 January, 2011

In front of the Popper room (Nádor 9 building - 1st floor)
12:30 PM - coffee

Popper room (Nádor 9 building - 1st floor room 102)
1.00 PM -1.15 PM
Introductory remarks – Katalin Farkas, Pro-Rector, Professor of
Philosophy, Former Head of CEU Philosophy Department

1:15 PM - 2:45 PM
Dominik Perler (Institut für Philosophie  Humboldt-Universität zu
Berlin)
‘Spinoza on Skepticism’

3:00 PM - 4:30 PM
Barry Loewer (Rutgers University)
‘Boltzmann Brains and other Epistemological Catastrophies’

AUDITORIUM  (Nádor 9 building - ground-floor)
5:00 PM - 6:30 PM
Ronald Dworkin (New York University)
‘What Democracy Is’

Popper room, Gellner room  (Nádor 9 building - 1st floor room 102,103)
6.45 PM – 8.00 PM Reception

Friday, 28 January, 2011

In front of the Popper room (Nádor 9 building - 1st floor)
9:30 AM - coffee

Popper room (Nádor 9 building - 1st floor room 102)
10:00 AM - 11:30 AM
Tim Crane (University of Cambridge)
‘What is the difference between existing and not existing?’

11.45 AM - 1:15 PM
Ferenc Huoranszki (Central European University)
‘The Reality of Nominal Essences’

Lunch break (optional)

2:45 PM - 4:15 PM
Brad Inwood (University of Toronto)
‘What can we still learn from Aristotelian ethics?’

4:30 PM - 6:00 PM
Dan Sperber  (Jean Nicod Institute / CEU )
‘Epistemic vigilance in cognition, communication  and society’

If you would like to secure a seat please register through this site

http://www.philosophy.ceu.hu/events/2011-01-27/ten-years-of-philosophy-at-central-european-university

 Kriszta Biber
Department Coordinator
Philosophy Department