[MaFLa] invitation to a talk on`Cognising Communicative Intent`by Richard Moore - -8 February, 4.30 PM

Krisztina Biber Biberk at ceu.hu
Wed Feb 2 11:24:31 CET 2011

The CEU Department of Philosophy cordially invites you to a talk
(as part of its Departmental Colloquium series)
by
Richard Moore (Max Planck Institut, Germany)
on
`Cognising Communicative Intent`

Tuesday, 8 February, 2010, 4.30 PM, Zrinyi 14, Room 412

ABSTRACT
In this talk, I will draw attention to a largely unnoticed feature of
communicative acts: the fact that they are often not single actions, but
composite acts consisting of two parts, which are together sufficient
for enacting Gricean intent. I call these parts content cues and
ostensive cues. Whereas traditional accounts have held that only those
capable of acting with and grasping fourth order meta-representations
could cognise Gricean intentions, because of the functional division of
labour performed by content and ostensive cues, in fact cognizing
communicative intent requires entertaining only a pair of second order
meta-representations. This undercuts the ‘higher order thoughts’
objection to attributing a grasp of communicative intent to young
children. I also argue that cognising communicative intent does not
require the possession of a concept of belief, and I finish by
considering whether non-human great apes might also produce and grasp
communicative acts with a Gricean structure.