[MaFLa] reminder: invitation to a talk on`Art and Rhetoric`by Peter Goldie - March 8th, 4.30 PM

Krisztina Biber Biberk at ceu.hu
Mon Mar 7 09:31:54 CET 2011

The CEU Department of Philosophy cordially invites you to a talk
(as part of its Departmental Colloquium series)
by
Peter Goldie (University of Manchester)
on
Art and Rhetoric

Tuesday, 8 March, 2010, 4.30 PM, Zrinyi 14, Room 412

ABSTRACT
Some art aims to persuade the viewer or audience of certain ethical or
political views—Picasso’s Guernica is an example. I aim to consider the
quasi-rhetorical persuasive powers which art of this kind has that are
analogous to the persuasive powers of rhetoric proper, as found in
oratory. I will ask what we can learn about the persuasive powers of art
from thinking about it as quasi-rhetoric.

Peter Goldie is The Samuel Hall Chair in Philosophy at The University
of Manchester. His main philosophical interests are in the philosophy of
mind, ethics and aesthetics, and particularly in questions concerning
value and how the mind engages with value. He is the author of The
Emotions: A Philosophical Exploration (OUP 2000), and On Personality
(Routledge, 2004), and co-author of Who’s Afraid of Conceptual Art?
(Routledge 2010). Forthcoming from OUP in 2011 are two co-edited
volumes: Empathy: Philosophical and Psychological Perspectives; and The
Aesthetic Mind. He is writing a book for OUP on narrative thinking and
emotion.