[MaFLa] Meghivo Hans Radder eloadasaira

Ropolyi Laszlo ropolyi at caesar.elte.hu
Fri Mar 30 14:33:35 CEST 2012

Tisztelt kollegak!

AZ ELTE Tudomanytortenet es Tudomanyfilozofia Tanszekenek vendegekent ket
eloadast tart a kozeljovoben Budapesten

Hans Radder
tudomany es technikafilozofus
az amszterdami Vrije Universiteit, Faculteit der Wijsbegeerte tanara
http://www.ph.vu.nl/nl/organisatie/medewerkers/medewerkers-m-s/prof-dr-h-radder/index.asp

Az eloadasokon minden erdeklodot orommel latunk!

------------------------------

Az elso eloadasra

2012 aprilis 2-án, hetfon delutan 6 orakor

az ELTE TTK Lagymanyosi kampuszanak Deli Tombjeben, a 0.827-es termeben
(Budapest, 1117 Pazmany setany 1/c, foldszint) kerul sor

"Mertonian values, scientific norms, and the commodification of academic
research"

cimmel. Az eloadas kivonata:

Since the 1980s the commodification of academic science has strongly
increased. To be sure, science at large has always included research
primarily carried out for its economic benefit, especially since the
second half of the nineteenth century. Yet, the large-scale
commodification of academic science is a more recent phenomenon. In the
course of the past decade, this phenomenon has been explored and a variety
of studies have become available. Assessments of the rise of
entrepreneurial academia differ sharply. On the one hand, it is welcomed
and sometimes even seen as a necessary step in the history of academic
institutions (e.g., Gibbons et al. 1994; Etzkowitz 2004). On the other
hand, the problematic consequences of commodified academic science are
also widely discussed and increasingly acknowledged (Shulman 1999; Bok
2003; Krimsky 2003; Healy 2006; Resnik 2007; Radder 2010).
and science policy organizations have composed a variety of normative
codes of good scientific conduct (Kourany 2007). Almost invariably, these
codes are based on, or derived from, the social ethos of science
formulated by Robert K. Merton in 1942. The aim of this paper is to find
out to what extent a Mertonian ethos can still be useful in the present
context of a strongly commodified science. The discussion will be focused
on the issue of the patenting of the results of academic research.
 	The plan of the paper is as follows. First, I briefly review
Merton.s account of the ethos of science. The next section deals with some
STS criticisms of this account and it suggests a reinterpretation in terms
of general Mertonian values and more specific scientific norms. I then
discuss the important issue of the patenting of the results of academic
research and I demonstrate the significance of a .deflationary
neo-Mertonian approach. to this issue. My conclusion is that the recent
practices of public universities stand unjustified. The final section
addresses some questions regarding the scope and implications of this
neo-Mertonian critique of commodified science.

--------------------------

A masodik eloadasra

2012 aprilis 4-en, szerdan delutan 5 orakor

az ELTE BTK "Theoretical Philosophy Forum" kereteben a BTK Trefort kerti
kampuszanak i epuleteben, a 226-os teremben (Budapest, 1088 Muzeum krt.
4/i) kerul sor

"Does the Brain 'Initiate' Freely Willed Processes? A Critique of
Libet-Type Experiments and Their Interpretation"

cimmel. Az eloadas kivonata:

In the extensive, recent debates on free will, the pioneering experiments
by Benjamin Libet continue to play a significant role. The claim that
these experiments demonstrate the illusoriness of freely willed actions is
both strongly endorsed and hotly disputed. In this paper, we provide an
analysis and evaluation of Libet.s experiments from a philosophy of
science perspective, which differs from the usual approaches in philosophy
of mind or moral philosophy. Our analysis focuses on Libet.s central
notion of the .initiation. of freely willed processes by the brain. First,
we use the INUS theory and the manipulability theory of causation to
investigate whether the experiments show any causal relationship between
brain activity, on the one hand, and free decisions or (freely willed)
motor activity, on the other. In addition, we examine three other
interpretations of the notion of initiation (in terms of a necessary
condition, a correlation and a regular succession). We argue that none of
these four interpretations can be supported by the design and results of
Libet.s experiments. Significantly enough, on the basis of these
experiments we cannot even conclude that each free decision, or each
(freely willed) motor action, is always preceded by a readiness potential.
Furthermore, more recent Libet-type experiments cannot solve these
problems either. Our general conclusion is that neither Libet.s nor
Libet-type experiments can justify the claim that the brain initiates
freely willed processes.

Az eloadasokon valo talalkozas remenyeben udvozlettel:

Ropolyi Laszlo
ELTE Tudtort. Tudfil Tsz.