[MaFLa] invitation to a talk on 'Shared Agency and Motor Representation' by Stephen Butterfill - 20 November, 5.30 PM

Krisztina Biber Biberk at ceu.hu
Wed Nov 14 17:46:19 CET 2012

The CEU Department of Philosophy cordially invites you to a talk
(as part of its Departmental Colloquium series)
by
Stephen Butterfill (University of Warwick)
on
'Shared Agency and Motor Representation'

Tuesday, 20 November, 2012, 5.30 PM, Zrinyi 14, Room 412

ABSTRACT

Shared agency is paradigmatically involved when two or more people paint a house together, tidy the toys away together, or lift a two-handled basket together.  To characterise shared agency, some philosophers have appealed to a special kind of intention or structure of intention, knowledge or commitment often called 'shared intention'.  In this talk I shall argue that fully characterising shared agency may additionally require appeal to  motor representation.  Shared agency is not only a matter of what we intend: sometimes it also depends on interlocking structures of motor representation.  This may have consequences for some metaphysical, normative and phenomenological questions about shared agency.