[MaFLa] invitation to a talk by Nenad Miscevic on `COLOR: SNAPSHOT OR PHOTOSHOP?`- 30 October, 5.30 PM

Krisztina Biber Biberk at ceu.hu
Wed Oct 24 08:52:48 CEST 2012

The CEU Department of Philosophy cordially invites you to a talk
(as part of its Departmental Colloquium series)
by
Nenad Miscevic (CEU / University of Maribor)
on
COLOR: SNAPSHOT OR PHOTOSHOP?

Tuesday, 30 October, 2012, 5.30 PM, Zrinyi 14, Room 412

ABSTRACT

Where does usefulness of color perception come from? I want to argue
that what enables us to talk about the usefulness of ‘detecting’ red is
the unity bestowed by the response (the ‘visaging’ of phenomenal
redness).
It is the relational, response-dependent usefulness,
response-usefulness for short.
I shall also discuss the opposite view of Mohan Matthen who  derives
reality of color from the usefulness of color recognition, rather than
usefulness from its reality.