[MaFLa] invitation to a talk on`Merleau-Ponty and his „primacy of perception“ thesis`by Jakub Čapek - 12 February, 5.30 PM

Krisztina Biber biberk at ceu.hu
Wed Feb 6 09:23:23 CET 2013

The CEU Department of Philosophy cordially invites you to a talk
(as part of its Departmental Colloquium series)
by
Jakub Čapek (Charles University, Prague)
on
`Merleau-Ponty and his „primacy of perception“ thesis`

Tuesday, 12 February, 2013, 5.30 PM, Zrinyi 14, Room 412

ABSTRACT

In Merleau-Ponty’s philosophy, perception is not just a possible
philosophical issue. The analysis of perception largely determines the
way other philosophical issues, such as consciousness, time, language or
ideal objects, should be approached. Merleau-Ponty repeatedly affirms
the priority of perceiving, as, for instance, in his 1946 lecture The
Primacy of Perception and Its Philosophical Consequences or in his
masterpiece Phenomenology of Perception (1945), where he regards
perception as our “primordial knowledge” of the real. In my work on
Merleau-Ponty, I do two things: (1.) I try to state as clearly as
possible, what meaning the primacy of perception has, and (2.) what
philosophical consequences it implies.
In my lecture, I proceed in three steps. Since the thesis of the primacy
of perception – in all its possible meanings – presupposes a certain
idea of what perception is, I briefly outline Merleau-Ponty’s theory of
perception. Secondly, I come back to the primacy of perception thesis. I
propose to distinguish its three possible meanings. This enables us to
formulate our question more precisely. Thirdly, I focus on one area of
application of Merleau-Ponty’s fundamental thesis, viz. on his analysis
of consciousness. I will interpret his statement: “All consciousness is,
in some measure, perceptual consciousness.”