[MaFLa] Meghívó

Akos Sivado akos.sivado at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 15:29:48 CEST 2013

Kedves Kollégák,

Az MTA BTK Filozófiai Intézete (Budapest, I. kerület, Országház u. 30.),
2013. április 15-én 17 órai kezdettel szeretettel meghívja Önöket

Mark Sprevak (University of Edinburgh), "Is the Extended Mind Hypothesis
Nonsensical?"

című előadására. Az előadás absztraktja lentebb olvasható.

Üdvözlettel,
Sivadó Ákos
------------------------------

ABSTRACT
The extended mind hypothesis (EM) claims that some of our mental
states/processes extend outside our heads and into objects in our
environment, such as notebooks and iPhones. The existing debate
concerning EM has focused on questions of justification concerning EM:
whether we should believe that EM is true or false based on current
evidence. This paper takes a step back and focuses on a prior
question: what does it even mean to say that mental states/processes
"extend" into physical objects? Some theorists doubt that a good
answer can be provided, and have concluded that EM is not a genuine
statement of fact. In this paper, I look at 4 proposals for cashing
out EM. I argue only one proposal---based on the realisation
relation---has a chance of success. However, even the realisation
proposal has significant, and unanticipated, revisionary consequences
for EM.