[MaFLa] invitation to a philosophy talk on`The Moral Evaluation of Past Tragedies: A New Puzzle`by Saul Smilansky - 26 November, 5.30 PM

Krisztina Biber biberk at ceu.hu
Thu Nov 21 07:42:23 CET 2013

    The CEU Department of Philosophy cordially invites you to a talk
 (as part of its Departmental Colloquium series)
 by
 Saul Smilansky (University of Haifa)
 on
 `The Moral Evaluation of Past Tragedies: A New Puzzle`

 Tuesday, 26 November, 2013, 5.30 PM, Zrinyi 14, Room 412

 ABSTRACT

 The past is full of terrible tragedies, including slavery, World War I, and the Holocaust. Morality would clearly appear to support the claim that it would have been preferable for the victims of those calamities to have lived free and peaceful lives. And yet, a Zeno-like puzzle or even a paradox appears to be lurking here. Moral evaluation can be either personal or impersonal, yet neither one of these two perspectives nor any other prevalent moral evaluation of events appears to yield the morally expected conclusion. To the best of my knowledge, this puzzle has not been discussed before.