[MaFLa] invitation to a talk on`Assessing radical sophisticated embodiment`by Pierre Jacob - March 25, 5.30 PM

Krisztina Biber biberk at ceu.hu
Wed Mar 19 08:20:28 CET 2014

 The CEU Department of Philosophy cordially invites you to a talk
 (as part of its Departmental Colloquium series)
 by
 Pierre Jacob  (Institut Jean Nicod, Paris)  on
 `Assessing radical sophisticated embodiment`

Tuesday, 25 March, 2014, 5.30 PM, Zrinyi 14, Room 412

 ABSTRACT

 Several related though distinct questions have been raised in recent
philosophy of mind and cognitive science: what makes an individual’s
mind or cognition embodied, situated, grounded, embedded, enactive, and
extended? I’ll focus on the first question: what makes an individual’s
mind embodied? I’ll argue for the following distinctions: embodiment can
be uncontroversial or controversial. Controversial embodiment can be
moderate or radical. Controversial radical embodiment can be crude or
sophisticated. For the purpose of clarifying this last distinction, I
will introduce the doctrine of Cartesian materialism construed as the
conjunction of (i) the computational representational approach to the
mind and mental processes, (ii) the Fodorian trichotomy and (iii)
neurocentrism. I shall examine the respective costs of rejecting each
conjunct and examine the question how radical sophisticated embodiment
relates to the extended mind.