[MaFLa] invitation to a talk on`Romantic Love and Time`- Tuesday, 11 November, 5.30 PM, Zrinyi 14, Room 412

Krisztina Biber biberk at ceu.hu
Wed Nov 5 07:31:40 CET 2014

    The CEU Department of Philosophy cordially invites you to a talk
 (as part of its Departmental Colloquium series)
 by
 Aaron Ben-Ze’ev, (University of Haifa)
Angelika Krebs, (University of Basel)
 on
 `Romantic Love and Time`

 Tuesday, 11 November, 2014, 5.30 PM, Zrinyi 14, Room 412

 ABSTRACT
 The relationship between romantic love and time is complex and can be
addressed on various levels:
 (1) The temporal aspect in the experience of love; we may distinguish
here between (a) acute emotions, (b) emotional episodes, and (c)
sentiments.
 (2) The way objective time influences love; here we may speak, for
example, about (a) negative or positive influences, and (b) influences
making love more or less intense or profound.
 (3) The way love influences the subjective experience of time; for
example, whether time is perceived to stand still or to pass very
quickly.
 (4) Practical issues concerning love and time, for example: (a) love at
first sight, (b) endless love, (c) love in a restless world, and (d)
love in an aging society; can profound (endless, exclusive) love still
function as our ideal today?
 The above issues indicate that we need a comprehensive framework for
understanding the connection between love and time; we need this
framework for decide, both as individuals and as society, what practical
steps to take.

Krisztina Biber
Department of Philosophy
Coordinator