[MaFLa] invitation to a talk on`The Cognitive Dimension of Aesthetic Experience: A Kantian Approach`-`The Cognitive Dimension of Aesthetic Experience: A Kantian Approach`

Krisztina Biber biberk at ceu.hu
Wed Nov 19 08:13:32 CET 2014

    The CEU Department of Philosophy cordially invites you to a talk
 (as part of its Departmental Colloquium series)
 by
 Mojca Küplen (Hungarian Academy of Sciences)
 on
 `The Cognitive Dimension of Aesthetic Experience: A Kantian Approach`
 Tuesday, 25 November 2014, 5.30 PM, Zrinyi 14, Room 412

 ABSTRACT
 It is often claimed that aesthetic and cognitive values are distinct.
This view has been commonly attributed to Kant’s aesthetic theory and
his strict distinction between cognitive (or conceptual) judgments and
aesthetic judgments. Since aesthetic judgments are dependent on the
feeling of pleasure or displeasure alone, it is claimed that aesthetic
experience is essentially noncognitive. I aim to express a critique of
this view attributed to Kant and to show that aesthetic experience of
beauty and ugliness is a cognitive activity.
 I develop my proposal in light of Kant’s theory of aesthetic ideas put
forward in the Critique of the Power of Judgment. I address the question
whether and how his theory can be interpreted in a way that can explain
the cognitive significance of ugliness and beauty. The course of my
argument is the following: First, I show in what sense an aesthetic idea
is valuable, namely, because it is the only way in which we can have
some sort of perception of ideas that go beyond sensory experience.
Second, I aim to show that aesthetic ideas need not only be of what is
beautiful, but can also be of what is ugly and gives rise to
displeasure. Third, I aim to explain the association of ugliness and
beauty with aesthetic ideas by referring to Kant’s notion of the
reflective judgments and the a priori principle of purposiveness.

Krisztina Biber
Department of Philosophy
Coordinator

Central European University