[MaFLa] reminder: invitation to a philosophy talk on`Reasoning with Reasons`by Daniel Star - Tuesday, 13 January, 5.30 PM, Zrinyi 14, Room 412

Krisztina Biber Biberk at ceu.hu
Mon Jan 12 13:43:40 CET 2015

The CEU Department of Philosophy cordially invites you to a talk
(as part of its Departmental Colloquium series)
by
Daniel Star (Boston University)
on
Reasoning with Reasons

Tuesday, 13 January, 2015, 5.30 PM, Zrinyi 14, Room 412

ABSTRACT

Kieran Setiya and Jonathan Way separately contend that normative reasons, whether reasons for belief or reasons for action, are premises of good reasoning. I don’t disagree that an essential role that reasons play is that they are premises of good reasoning, but I disagree that in saying this we get at the essence of normative reasons. It makes good sense to ask for more information about the the realizer of this role. I argue that when we do this we are led to accept the view that reasons are evidence concerning what one ought to do (in the case of reasons for action), or ought to believe (in the case of reasons for belief). I will also raise some problems for the alternative, role-based accounts of reasons.
The above issues indicate that we need a comprehensive framework for understanding the connection between love and time; we need this framework for decide, both as individuals and as society, what practical steps to take.

Krisztina Biber
Department of Philosophy
Coordinator

Central European University