[MaFLa] reminder: invitation to a talk on`Fictional Names`by Lee Walters - Tuesday, 20 October, 5.30 PM, Zrinyi 14, Room 412

Krisztina Biber Biberk at ceu.edu
Mon Oct 19 09:50:11 CEST 2015

The CEU Department of Philosophy cordially invites you to a talk
(as part of its Departmental Colloquium series)
by
Lee Walters (University of Southampton)
on
Fictional Names
Tuesday, 20 October 2015, 5.30 PM, Zrinyi 14, Room 412
ABSTRACT
Our discourse about fiction seems to pull us different directions. On the one hand, Sherlock Holmes does not exist, on the other he was created by Conan Doyle. I argue that the best approach is to admit that fictional names are ambiguous having both a referring and non-referring use. I motivate and defend this proposal by looking at other cases of metonymic transfer.

Krisztina Biber
Department of Philosophy
Coordinator

Central European University